From "The Great Divorce" by C. S. Lewis

If it is possible to have a favorite book, then mine may be C. S. Lewis' The Great Divorce.  The allegory captures conversations when a bus from Hell visits Heaven.  The story offers marvelous insight about fractured perspectives, the choices we make, and truth.  Below are just a few of my favorite snippets; the book (and audio book!) are worth your time.

*Double arrows (>>) and blue text are used to indicate when a character from Hell is speaking.
_________________________________________

>> 'I’m asking for nothing but my rights.'
> 'I haven’t got my rights, or I should not be here. You will not get yours either. You’ll get something far better. Never fear.’
_________________________________________

> 'Once you were a child. Once you knew what inquiry was for. There was a time when you asked questions because you wanted answers, and were glad when you had found them. Become that child again: even now.’
>> ‘Ah, but when I became a man I put away childish things.’ 
> ‘You have gone far wrong. Thirst was made for water; inquiry for truth.'
_________________________________________

>> 'To travel hopefully is better than to arrive.’
> ‘If that were true, and known to be true, how could anyone travel hopefully? There would be nothing to hope for.’
_________________________________________

> ‘We know nothing of religion here: we think only of Christ.'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Improve Your Public Speaking Skills

Ready To Grow?

Passcode-Protect Google Drive Accounts on an iPad